If you’re looking for suggestions for a Mexican, Southwestern, or Cinco de Mayo gathering, here are a few of my favorites:
1. Pimento Cheese Queso Fundido with Chorizo – Pimento cheese gives it a Southern twist, while the chorizo sausage gives it amazing flavor. My friends inhale this when I make it.
2. Restaurant Style Salsa – made with canned tomatoes and fresh peppers and fresh cilantro, this salsa is delicious year round. No need to wait for the summer’s best tomatoes. Make it right in your blender because it’s super easy.
3. Chicken Enchiladas – one of my family’s favorite meals. These chicken enchiladas are bursting with flavor and smothered with cheese.
4. Beef Enchiladas – it’s the sauce, really. Don’t skip the sauce. Homemade enchilada sauce is not hard to make and it takes your enchilada dish to a completely different level. These beef enchiladas are absolutely fabulous.
5. Skillet Mexican Chicken with Rice – a little healthier and lighter than the cheese covered enchiladas, this skillet chicken is flavored with fresh cilantro and other herbs, along with some bright lime juice. This is a great outdoor spring or summer meal.
6. Chicken Tortilla Soup – a must-have at almost any Mexican gathering, this chicken tortilla soup feeds a crowd and is delicious.
7. Texas Caviar – Texas, Mexico, it’s close right? We love this Texas Caviar at any party. It’s great with chips or even with a spoon. Fresh jalapeño, cilantro, peppers, and black-eyed peas with a tangy red wine vinegar dressing.
8. Roasted Jalapeno Cilantro Pesto – One of my favorites: fresh jalapeños blended with fresh cilantro, pine nuts, and parmesan cheese. This ain’t your basil pesto.
9. Homemade Taco Seasoning – skip the artificial stuff in the store and make your own. It tastes better and it’s better for you. You can control the salt and the heat level.
10. Mexican Wedding Cookies – these buttery cookies melt in your mouth, making you want to go back for more and more and more. And more.