This recipe is about as basic as it gets: meat, onion, pepper, tomatoes, and beans. And it’s easy to make—the whole pot comes together in about an hour. You can make it as spicy as you want or make it a little more kid-friendly.
You could also cook this chili in the crock pot and have it ready when you get home. It’s simple, versatile, and great for the whole family. Enjoy!
- 1 lb. ground round beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 cans water from the tomato paste
- 1 19 1/2-oz. can Campbell's pork and beans undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder add more if needed
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin add more if needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
In large Dutch oven over medium heat, brown the ground round. When meat is nearly done, add olive oil and allow to heat. Add onion and green peppers to meat. Stir and cook about five minutes, stirring frequently.
Pour in tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Stir to mix well and add chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix well and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and add beans. Stir and cook about 45 minutes on medium-low, stirring frequently.
- Serve with grated cheese, chopped onions, frito chips, sour cream.